Sunday 25 November 2007

AMSTERDAM!!

I visited a few galleries whilst in Amsterdam but the Stedlijk contemporary art museum was by far my favourite. There was an exhibition on by two men called Liet Heringa and Maarten van Kalsbeek. The title work of the exhibition is Cruel Bonsai and the work was created in 2005. The artists make their sculptures by mixing materials such as feathers, porcelain and artificial resin. I like the work so much not because I find it pleasing to look at, but because it is so interesting. Some of the forms created are amazing. I like the ones with a less 'solid' look than the more sturdy sculptures like the one on the poster below.
The beauty of this work is that there can never be two sculptures that are identical. The artists themselves say that they allow chance to play a role in the production of the work.



0 comments: